Friday, September 22, 2006

Across The Universe!


Somebody requested this song yesterday night at Wala Wala. I was a bit surprised as I always thought people don't follow "The Beatles" here in Singapore. Good for me :) Looks like Beatlesmania is starting to grow.

All credit goes to Shirlyn and the UnXpected! You guyz have given "The Beatles" numbers a different meaning. Shirlyn's amazing vocals & stunning stage presence does full justice to the gr88 John Lennon. Rene, Brandon, Asri, Joan & Colin are awesome in their respective departments too.
Rene - Lead Guitar
Brandon - Drums
Asri / Colin - Bass Guitar
Joan - Keyboard

I have seen the UnXpected performing following Beatles numbers so far:
1. Help!
2. Oh! Darling
3. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
4. Across The Universe
5. From Me To You
6. I Wanna Hold Your Hand
7. Ticket To Ride
8. We Can Work It Out

Desperately waiting for this John Lennon number:
- Don't Let Me Down

and many more...

So guyz, if you happen to be in Singapore, you know where to catch the UnXpected. Check out their Calendar

Coming back to "Across the universe" (I will write more about the UnXpected later), here are a few details about the song (Courtsey Wikipedia):

________________________________________________________________

"Across the Universe" is a song by The Beatles that first appeared as a charity single release in December 1969, and later, in modified form, became a standout track on their May 1970 album, Let It Be. The song features John Lennon singing lead, who was also the primary composer (though, as with all Beatles songs written by either composer, the song is formally credited to Lennon-McCartney). It is widely considered to be one of Lennon's most heartfelt and beautiful pieces, yet it had one of the most convoluted production and release histories of any Beatles' song.

Composition


In 1967, John's relationship with his wife, Cynthia Powell was falling apart. One night, the phrase "words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup" popped into his mind. Intrigued, he rushed to grab a paper and pencil. He began to write the rest of the lyrics, and when he was done, he went to bed and forgot about them.

In the morning, John found the paper on which he had written the lyrics and brought them down to his piano, where he began to play chords, and find pitches to match the words. The flavor of the song was heavily influenced by Lennon's and The Beatles' short-lived interest in Transcendental Meditation in late 1967 - early 1968, when the song was composed. Based on this he added the mantra (Jai Guru Deva Om) to the piece, which served as a link between the bridge and verse.

The structure of the lyrics is straightforward: three repetitions of a unit consisting of a verse, the line "Jai Guru Deva Om", and the line "Nothing's gonna change my world" repeated four times. The lyrics are highly image-based, with abstract concepts reified with phrases like thoughts "meandering", words "slithering", and undying love "shining". The title phrase "across the universe" appears at intervals to finish lines.

Lyrics


Words are flying out like
endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass
They slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow waves of joy
are drifting thorough my open mind
Possessing and caressing me

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which
dance before me like a million eyes
That call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a
restless wind inside a letter box
they tumble blindly as
they make their way across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Sounds of laughter shades of life
are ringing through my open ears
exciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which
shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Jai guru deva
Jai guru deva
________________________________________________________________

Beatles are undoubtedly the BEST...

No comments: